Followers

Wednesday 19 October 2011

Day 251: McCoffee (06/10/2011)

We arrived at Lima airport in good time with a fistful of shrapnel.

Budgeting for the airport is difficult.

Too little local currency and you have to survive check-in without enough money for a cup of coffee. Too much and you are destined to take home yet another deposit for the useless foreign currency jar that sits on everyone´s shelf. And a brooding sense of injustice.

We wandered to Starbucks, more out of force of habit that anything else.

"Two Lattes and a Chocolate Brownie" I asked the sullen girl at the counter.

She tapped the computer till.

"Twenty-nine Soles" she replied, without looking up.

It was a bit steep for coffee and cake, but after all this was the airport and prices here bear no relation to the real world. I fished around in my wallet and handed over the cash.

"No. twenty-nine dollars" she fired back at me with just a little more bile than I usually like with my coffee.

I don´t usually like to sacrifice my principles but today I was was willing to make an exception.

"Two dollars and forty-five cents" said the girl at McDonalds.

With the nicest smile I can recall.

No comments:

Post a Comment