Followers

Monday 24 October 2011

Day 262: Oh Bollocks! (17/10/2011)

They told me.

I was warned.

It happened to Brian just the same way.

And still it happened to me - just don't let it happen to you.

We got on the bus from Banos to Quito. A man, who looked like the driver asked us to put our day packs in the over head locker so as not to block the gangway. We obligingly complied, not being ones to challenge authority in a strange country.

We talked.

The guy in the seat behind calmly took the bag containing the computer and a few other things before unobtrusively stepping off the bus with it tucked under his coat, just as we were leaving.

The doors closed behind him and the bus pulled away as I gave chase. The real driver didn't speak English and the opportunity to retrieve three months of the best photos and video of South America I will ever take, was gone.

I watched the thief disappear into the crowded bus station, impotent to do anything.

I swore alot.

At Clare, at Berni, at the bus driver, at the thief, at the world.

Then I didn´t say much for a while.

I feel alot better now as lots of friends have offered their photos from the same trip but it really made me sad for a while.

Until I heard that another friend lost everything in a fire.

Then I felt stupid and ridiculous.

I owe several people an apology for the way I behaved. They know who they are.

I am very sorry.

Maybe the guy who stole the stuff will get a couple of hundred dollars. He probably needs it more than me but if you are stealing stuff off buses for a living, its not going to end well for you in the long run.

Good luck mate - you'll need it.








1 comment:

  1. Really sorry to hear that Tim. One day it will be an anecdote. Which is what I always tell myself when things go wrong.

    ReplyDelete